Sunday, September 28, 2008

You Get What You Deserve

Loss number one was a great one.  It always brings me a great deal of joy when Wisconsin loses, especially to a team that is unexpected.  I felt the same way when they lost to Illinois last year, after a Illinois victory for Iowa.  

But what really made me happy with Wisconsin's loss was the fact that they were ranked an unworthy 9th in the country.  I do agree Wisco should be in the top 20, and definitely ranked, but they do not deserve to be in the top 10.  The team in 9th place now (USC) is well-deserved-- and I must say the USC/Oregon State game was so entertaining to watch, maybe because I love upsets. 

In the game on Saturday against Michigan, they dominated in the first quarter, but it wasn't very impressive.  They took a 6-0 lead in the first quarter, completely shutting down Michigan's offense.  But they couldn't do anything offensively either.  They held the ball for over ten minutes, but couldn't get it in the end zone.  They were still missing their big man, Travis Beckum due to hamstring problems-- forcing them to resort to their receivers.  NOT GOOD.  

But still, at half time the Badgers were up 19-0 leading me and everyone else to think the deal was closed. Then things turned around in the other half when Michigan took over, taking the lead, 20-19.  They scored four times in a 12 minute period, winning their 23rd consecutive Big Ten home opener.  The game was the 500th at Michigan Stadium and it was their biggest comeback in it's history.  

I started to get nervous and having doubts again when David Gilreath scored in the fourth and the Badgers went for a 2-point conversion to Beckum.  But WAIT---FLAG!!!  An ineligible receiver! Big 'ol Bret was just a little upset.  

So, in the end, Wisconsin sits in a deserved 18th place.  That put a cherry on top of my slump of a day.  We'll just have to see if Wisco's good luck is out the window.......

5 comments:

Sarah Abraham UISJMC Blog said...

Just thought I would comment on the Brewers winning the NL Wildcard. After a rough end to the season with Neddy leaving..great news for the brew crew. Good luck in PA!

uisjmc Cabalka said...

Thank you! I appreciate it, I was QUITE excited..

UISJMC Chiakulas said...

I think everyone knows the Brewers aren't going to beat the Phillies, especially with CC not being able to pitch until game 2 at the earliest.

In terms of Big Ten football, Wisky was definetly overrated, Evridge is an awful quarterback, no better than Jake.

I think after week 1 it's safe to say that it's a 2 horse race between Penn State and Ohio State, with Penn State being the top team right now after they dominated Illinois for most of the game.

As for Iowa, all I have to say is an embarassing loss.

uisjmc prieboy said...

I would also like to say how much I enjoyed Wisconsin losing because I thought they were overrated as well. What made it better was that it was to a Michigan team that has looked absolutely terrible. I'm hoping Wisconsin can lose at least one more time when they come to Iowa City.

uisjmc Cabalka said...

Man, all this hostility against Wisconsin--I'm loving it. I do have to say to Chiakulas...I think the Ohio State/Wisco game will be a good match up. We will definitely see what kinds of teams they are on Saturday.