Monday, September 8, 2008

Week 2....ZzzZzz...Let's get into Week 3 puhlease

With every Big 10 winning in week 2, I'd say let's get the season rolling an into some more interesting games.  I need some more entertainment on Saturdays.  But let's review some interesting things that did happen this week.  


1.  Let's start at home.  Stanzi vs. Christensen...I could not be more happy with Ferentz's decision.  Now I know it's not a final one but after having to live through such a brutal 2007 season of 46 sacks, only 17 touchdowns and a 2008 projected 1326 yard season...I have just about given up on Christensen.  If Stanzi can get three touchdowns in one game (compared to Jakes 17 all season) he has already proved himself at least a little. I know, I know it was just Florida International, but let's look at the factors:


-Stanzi: sophomore, Christensen: junior.  Christensen clearly has more college football experience over Stanzi, but in his first career start, Stanzi showed complete composure.  
-He proved himself against FI, keep him going while he's hot.  He's starting to come around, he has the physical ability to deliver the ball with great accuracy.  He is getting the fans excited and that's exactly what we need right now after last years showing.  
-The players have even said (cough cough Brodell) that he would much rather catch passes from Stanzi and he feels more comfortable trusting Stanzi with the ball.  
-I admit Christensen played solid on Saturday, but he already has an interception under his belt in just two games.   I think Saturday against Iowa State will be a great showing of who is really deserving of the starting job.  Right now, the ball is in Stanzi's court and his performance in our great in-state rivalry will make the position more transparent to Ferentz.   


2. Ohio State.  WHAT HAPPENED? I previously posted about how sick Ohio State could be...Now I didn't say there were going to be..I said it was a possibility.  But now everything I said can go down the drain.  I really didn't think losing Beanie Wells was going to be such a burden to the Buckeyes...how pathetic.  I don't even know where to begin with OSU, they failed in just about every area possible.  
-The O-line didn't protect Boeckman
-The O-line did open holes for Chris Wells or Dan Herron
-Terrelle Pryor started off the game making horrible throws in the FIRST QUARTER.  
-Just a little side fact: Buckeyes hadn't lost to an in-state team since 1921...how embarrassing would that have been?
-OSU is lucky Ohio started to choke in the fourth quarter making dumb mistakes and turning over the football.  
If they lose to USC this week, their chances of making it back to the BCS championship game are out the window.  

The 2 Teams I think are fighting for 2nd place: 

3.  Wisconsin.  After two weeks, I still can't tell how Wisconsin is going to be this season.  When they played Akron, they gave up 17 points, what?? And then this weekend against Marshall they are down 14-0 in the first? And now they are ranked 10th in the polls?  Ok, I get it...they know how to come back from being down, but really? Many may not agree with me, but I found the game incredibly entertaining, mostly because I love watching UW lose.  So where does Wisco stand?  They have Fresno State on Saturday on the road...my projection: a big fat L to their record this season.  They really need to get Travis Beckum back on the field.  


4.  My faith in Penn State.  
-111 points by the offense in the first two games...yikes.  They are averaging 55.5 points and 524 yards in two games.  
-First year starting QB Daryll Clark looks solid in his position--276 yards and three touchdowns against Oregon State on Saturday.  
-Receiver Jordan Norwood is third in the school's career reception list of 129.
-Sophomore Evan Royster.  Against Oregon State--141 rushing yards and 3 TD's...averaging  8.3 yards per carry.   He became the first player to score six touchdowns in the first two games of the season since 1971, winning Big Ten Player of the Week.  
Now I don't want to jump the gun and say that Penn State is going to come back from their 4-4 Big Ten 2007 season...but I think they're going to see some major improvements.  They have a tough schedule on the road against both Ohio State and Wisconsin, but if their offense keeps dominating like they are, they will be in good shape.  I'm rooting for good 'ol JoePa.


Get ready for week 3 and some entertaining games...because I sure am.  

No comments: