Sunday, September 21, 2008

This QB Thing Just Has to Stop...

Like the rest of you, I am completely sick of this Christensen/Stanzi thing.  I understand the logic behind what Coach Ferentz is doing, but I am getting tired of it.  I think now we all know who our QB should be after yesterday's game against Pitt.  Yes, Christensen played a little better than Stanzi at the Iowa State game, but was that out of anger that he wasn't the starter?  He is so inconsistent, it's unreal.  


Stanzi has now again proven he should be the man with the job.  I give him big props for how he has played the last few games, he can maintain his composure which is what we need.  About Jake, I feel bad for the kid at times but seriously, he is not worthy of being a Big Ten QB.  He has shown us over and over again he just ISN'T THAT GOOD.  I think it would do him good to not be the starter; it will be a blow to his HUGE ego.  

I do have a bone to pick with the fans though too.  During the Florida International game, the fans are booing him off the field.  But then at Iowa State, they were loving him.  What is that about? I am neutral about the booing issue.  I do think it is somewhat disrespectful, but of course I do it sometimes too.  But what I don't understand is how one week everyone can hate him and then the next they love him.  I don't think it's right to like him when he plays well and hate him when he plays bad.  Everyone has bad games and makes mistakes (he makes a lot) but be consistent with how you're cheering/booing.  

On another note, how is our first loss going to affect us.  Did we really only win the first three games because we played at home and they weren't competition anyway?  Can we really not play on the road?  Is our main problem that we don't have one stable quarterback?


We've got great defense-- we lead the nation in both scoring defense (2.67 ppg) and red-zone defense (0 for 3 chances converted).  And Shonn Greene is the nations 11th leading rusher so we have what it takes to be really good this year.  We just need to get this QB thing figured out and get comfortable with that one person.  

6 comments:

uisjmc jaffe said...

Couldn't have said it better myself. No reason for Jake to play the whole 2nd half. He was either overthrowing wr's or throwing into too much coverage. He sucks bottomline and this competition or controversy or whatever is stupid. And it's gonna ruin the Hawk's season if they don't settle it soon.

UISJMC Chiakulas said...

I heard the reason Stanzi didn't play the entire 2nd half is because of what happened during the last play of the 2nd quarter right before half time.

Ken O'Keefe was screaming and waving his arms for Stanzi to not snap the ball and head into the lockeroom, but Stanzi obviously didn't hear him and snapped the ball with :01 second left and completed the pass.

As Stanzi ran off the field O'Keefe gave him an earful, obviously not liking what Stanzi did.

And then Ferentz's reason for playing Jake for the entire 2nd half was because "Jake had a better grasp of the game."

What a bunch of bullshit from Ferentz.

uisjmc Cabalka said...

Are you kidding?! I didn't know about that. Now if that's a reason to not play Stanzi and choose Christensen over him, we've got a lot more problems than we thought. I was watching that show with Ferentz tonight and he said they will have the QB situation figured out this week with a (hopefully) final decision...so I'm hoping that means Stanzi is the man.

But seriously, that's ridiculous.

uisjmc mason said...

uisjmc is absolutely right! The reason Stanzi didn't play in the second half is because he audibled that play and pissed of O'Keefe. But here is the big problem...if Ken O'Keefe is Ferentz's top advisor then we are in for a hell of a season. The entire 4th quarter was a painful de ja vu, and then to find out that Ken O'Keefe is such a child and wanted Ricki out because he disobeyed him. At the end of the day, my heart goes out to Jake. By now the coaches know what he is and isn't capable of, yet time and time again they put in a position to fail. That's just not right!

uisjmc prieboy said...

Alright so I'm not completely for Christensen or Stanzi but I think a lot of people are jumping on the Stanzi bandwagon way too early. I agree a decision needs to be made as to who the starter is for the rest of the season. But if Stanzi also hasn't had the time to prove himself or fail. If he plays like he did against ISU the rest of the season then what will everyone be saying? Personally I'd say if Stanzi plays against Northwestern like he did against ISU he should be done because after the ISU he said his nerves got to him. If his nerves got to him that bad against ISU what are they going to do in the spotlight of the Big Ten? Just a thought because I don't like the booing Jake and cheering for Stanzi like he's a great improvement.

uisjmc Cabalka said...

Yeah, I agree with you but I really don't think Stanzi has been given a lot of chances to prove himself under pressure. We saw him play against ISU, and no he didn't have the best game, but I don't think every time he is struggling, they should give up on him. We need to be able to see how he can play and give him the chance to work through those struggles so he will improve against the better teams like Wisconsin, Penn State and Illinois.