Sunday, September 21, 2008

Ringin' In the Heisman


I need to give mad props to Javon Ringer.  He is entertaining and I know I am getting ahead of myself, but I'm covering the Michigan St/Iowa game in two weeks and I am so excited to see him play in person.  

10 reasons why Ringer is a Heisman contender:

1.  Saturday's performance against rival Notre Dame: 39 carries, 201 yards, 2 TD's.  

2.  He became the first Michigan State player to record back-to-back 200-yard rushing performances.  

3.  4 games so far this year: 699 rushing yards, 11 TD's, and he leads the nation with 143 carries. 

4.  He is averaging 4.88 yards/carry.

5.  He is ranked 2nd nationally in rushing average (174.8).....even though he has 30 more carries than any other running back.

6.  He shows he is consistent.  On Saturday against Notre Dame he carried on six consecutive plays.  After Notre Dame missed a field goal, he ran 63 yards.  

7.  He is noble.  He came out for interviews on Saturday after the game and this is what he said: "I can do nothing without these guys paving the way for me.  We were able to win because of these guys, not because of me or because of our receivers. It came from the guys up front.  I told ya'll they should be doing the interviews instead of me." 

8.  He is the Offensive Player of the Week for the 2nd week in a row. 
 
9.  He leads the nation in rushing touchdowns at 11.

10.  The most important: he is doing better than P.J. Hill, which I love!!!!!!!  Hill has just 70 carries, 4 TD's, and 379 yards.  Pshhhhh nothing compared to Javon Ringer.  

6 comments:

uisjmc jaffe said...

If nothing else, he should definitely get consideration for the Heisman. It's hard to picture him winning though as MSU even with him isn't that great of a team. But I definitely think he's being overlooked for candidates just cuz MSU isn't a competitor. I still think when it's all said and done Chase Daniel will take home the Heisman. But Ringer is definitely worthy of being a finalist.

uisjmc Cabalka said...

I agree, he will be overlooked because it is Michigan State and they aren't great this year. But I think he should definitely be a serious contender.

uisjmc morgan said...

Another thing that could stand in his way other then MSU not being that great is the amount of touches he's getting. Like you said, he's got thirty more than any other running back. Thats an entire game worth of carries. Plus, pretty much every running back since the dawn of time has "given all the credit" to their offensive line.

UISJMC Schwartz said...

Two things:
1. How does Scott Cooley NOT comment on this entry?
2. Good stuff (but how about counting down from 10-1 instead of counting up 1-10?

UISJMC Schwartz said...

ASSIGNMENT - Following this weekend's games, tell us what we learned about the Big Ten based on the result of the Penn State-Illinois game.

uisjmc cooley said...

Here's the comment I'm sure you've been waiting for. Javon Ringer is a serious Heisman contender right now. I have him in my top five. In fact, going into the weekend, he was #3. That is where he stands right now, but I don't expect to see him in New York when they give the trophy away. MSU is not a good enough team, and once they start playing teams that can actually play defense, he will struggle as everyone will throw 8 and 9 defenders against him. Hoyer has the lowest completion percentage in the Big Ten and if he can't complete a pass, Ringer won't win the Heisman.