Monday, September 1, 2008

Overrated is an Understatement

I was born and raised in Wisconsin, and in my opinion, there is nothing wrong with the state.  Except for one thing...Wisconsin Badger Football.  

A little background information: both my parents went to Iowa.  My dad was a tight end for the Iowa so I have been raised as a Hawkeye, all the while despising Wisconsin Football.  Ever since middle school my rivalry between Iowa and Wisco has just intensified, especially since all my friends from home have nothing better to do than to talk smack about Iowa to me.  

I was at home in Madison this weekend, surrounded by Badger fans and so I heard about Wisconsin football all weekend long.  So I am dedicating this blog to venting about the Badgers.  

1.  P.J. Hill is great, but he isn't God.  Yes, he had 210 rushing yards, 2 touchdowns and 26 carries, but it was against Akron.  I look forward to seeing the same statistics against a Big Ten team.  People are saying he has a chance of being one the of the top rushers in the country, especially if Ohio State's Chris Wells stays out on injury.  I agree Hill has talent, but enough of the praising.  

2. Wisconsin is always ranked impressively in the beginning of the season, but they are never the team everyone across the country cares about and wants to see on Sports Center every night.  They are no UNC of college basketball or Brett Favre of NFL quarterbacks.  To the rest of the country, Wisconsin is just Wisconsin.  No one cares that they beat Akron 38-17 because frankly, I think they should have won by a larger margin.  Akron is ranked the 6th worse in the country and Marshall, their competition next weekend, is the 5th worse in the country.  Wisconsin needs to prove their #13 spot in the AP Poll. 

3.  At the Badger game on Saturday on the big screen players were asked who their favorite MLB team was.  Mario Goins answer was "Dallas Cowboys." True Story.

4. Wisconsin vs. Iowa.  People from Wisconsin claim that Iowa is horrible and the Badgers kill them every year.  To get something straight: 
2002: Iowa wins
2003: Iowa wins
2004: Iowa wins
2005: Iowa wins
2006: Wisconsin wins by 3 points.  
2007: Wisconsin wins by 4 points.  

5. Badgers soft spot: the red zone.  
2nd quarter against Akron on Saturday: 
-the Badgers had 3 consecutive drives into the red zone that produced only 3 points.  
-3rd down play: David Gilreath couldn't hold onto a pass 
  -Hill fumbles on the 1-yard line.  repeat ONE-YARD LINE. Resulting in a touchback. 
-Allan Evridge's interception in the end zone.  

4 comments:

uisjmc hawk said...

Hey, really liked the post. I didn't get to see the game, but I was surprised to see that Akron put up 17 points on the Badgers. I was surprised to see their inabilities to score in the red zone especially with Hill in the backfield...I think Fresno is a tough test for Wiscy on the road...

---Morgan

Ally Weber said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ally Weber said...

oops accidentally deleted the post.

I hate to say it but I have to agree with you both. I was born and raised on Badger football and it's not out of the ordinary for them not struggle a couple times a year against teams that aren't that great. UNLV made it close last year and that game shouldn't have been nearly as close as it was. I guess I'll have to wait for the Big Ten games to start to see how good they're really going to be this season.

uisjmc cooley said...

I was grew up a hawkeye fan and am glad to know that there are people who hate Wisconsin as much as I do! I really enjoyed the rant! I believe that any team in the big ten should be able to put a bigger whooping on the Zips than what Wisconsin did.

--Scott