Sunday, October 5, 2008

I'm trying to decide what fan I should convert to...

I'm sorry to be a complete downer on Iowa Football, but I just don't know what to do anymore. Honestly, the only good thing about the game was that I was on the field.  

I know I'm not the only one that feels this way, and I've just been continuously disappointed.  I'm starting to figure out what team I should root for the rest of the season...but don't worry I won't give up hope until after the Wisconsin/Iowa game--and if we lose that one, oh man....

Yesterday's game was just so hard to watch.  The game played in the first half was just one of the worst displays of football I have seen in awhile--on both sides.  Honestly, Michigan State is NOT THAT GOOD.  

How did we fumble the ball on what, the 5 yard line on our first drive? I was psyched after Brodell's first run that got us at good field position.  I thought without a doubt we would take the lead in the first few minutes.  But honestly, why do I kid myself?

We have so much potential on this years team--look at how our D-line shut down Heisman candidate Javon Ringer. He had his lowest rushing game of the season, just 91 yards.  Now come on! That says a lot about our defense.  We only allowed them one TD, the rest of the points came from field goals.  Now we just need to offense to step it up a notch and play a full game.  I mean Stanzi, you threw an interception RIGHT TO the Michigan State defender??

But I started getting hope in the fourth quarter.  We made a great drive and TD pass to Brodell...after that moment I really though we had the game.  To be honest, I agreed with the call to go for the 4th down but WHY would we hand off the ball to Shonn Greene?? We should have tried the sneak that we successfully accomplished earlier in the game.  

Which brings me to another point--Shonn Greene rushing for 157 yards! It would have been a record for him if you would take out that last play where the Spartans stopped him on the fourth down.  He is one factor on the offense that gives me a little bit of hope.  Just a little.  He is on a roll right now just 2 TD and less that 400 yards below his career stats--and we're only half way through the season!!  I'm liking that.

Sorry for the vent sesh.  I'm just hoping we can pick up some momentum against Indiana so we come into Wisconsin with high spirits.  I will be an emotional wreck that entire week...

On a somewhat brighter note:
Please take a look at this video about the Pitt game--hilarious.  There are some offensive parts (oops) just to warn you.  

16 comments:

uisjmc mcnace said...

I am right there with you in being disappointed thus far with the Hawkeyes season. The one thing that I look to though that gives me hope for the future is that we have done so much wrong the last three games and still only lost by a combined 9 points. Maybe that is just something for the defense to hang their hats on that they are able to keep us in games despite our offensive problems, but that at least gives me more hope then I had at the end of last season. Just think what would happen if we would just hold on to the darn ball! We could be 6-0! This team is improving though and with Stanzi we will get better, hopefully all of that starts at Indiana this weekend!

uisjmc cooley said...

I firmly believe we are the best 3-3 team in the nation. If not for a couple of bonehead plays, and play calls, the Hawkeyes would easily be 6-0. They have had as much talent, if not more than any team they have played. As long as they don't get down on themselves they are fully capable of finishing the season with a winning record.

uisjmc pawola said...

when's Ferentz going to leave!?

uisjmc mitchell said...

Jeff...Ferentz will refuse to leave as long as he keeps getting paid his nearly $3 million a year, which goes through 2012. Face it, we're stuck with him and (gulp) Ken O'Keefe for another four seasons because Iowa will not pay his buyout.
Megan...I don't think anyone would blame you if you look for a new team to root for right now, but if it's Wisco you'll probably be banished from Iowa City, especially if you start wearing the Winnebago's jersey. The only good thing going on in Camp Randall is Jump Around, while we get stuck with Cotton Eye Joe?! I know we're in Iowa, but that song really needs to be killed off. I don't know what makes me cringe more, O'Keefe's play calling or hearing that song over Kinnick's pathetic speakers.

Megan Cabalka said...

Mcnace..I'm liking your optimism. I never did think about the fact that combined we have only lost by 9 points, at least that's impressive.

Megan Cabalka said...

Hahaa Josh...don't worry, I will NEVER convert to a Badger football fan..EVER. Your post just made me crack up though.

uisjmc nagel said...

Actually Ringer's lowest total came against California at the beginning of the season, but we did keep him in check for most of the game.
I'm not giving up on this team quite yet. I saw a lot of improvement in them as the game went on. They just need to quit giving up the big plays and start making some of their own. Oh and perhaps if they could realize that Christmas is still 3 months away that'd be great too. Turnovers have been a huge factor.

But the thing is, despite our record and despite the turnovers and the play calling, we have been in a position to tie or win the game in ALL 3 of our losses. We just need to execute and did a little deeper in crunch time and things will take care of themselves.
I think we beat Indiana next week and build from there. We'll need to win 4 of the last 6 just to guarantee a bowl game anyways.

uisjmc prieboy said...

I'd agree this weekend was disappointing and we definitely need to stop turning the ball over at the wrong times like the INT by Stanzi. For whatever reason it doesn't seem like he turns the ball over on a normal play. Everytime it seems like he throws the ball right at a defender or he just drops the ball on a snap or sneak or whatever. Not sure what to think but it needs to be fixed.

uisjmc mason said...

Giving Greene the ball at the end of the game was the ONLY decision to make! Michigan State proved all day that they couldn't stop him and the only reason that he went down early on that play was becasue the fullback got the play wrong and blocked the wrong side allowing an ugly green Linebacker to get through.

This team is playing a million times better than last year, even with O'Keefe's crappy play calling. Our young QB just needs to learn how to win games at the end, and then we'll start winning the close ones. If some of you are losing faith in Iowa Footall during this much improved season, than you must not remember the debacle that was last year. Hawks will finish strong and make a bowl game.

Sarah Abraham UISJMC Blog said...

My thoughts exactly. You almost want to give up on Iowa football all together. My dad often says, "once you graduate in December im done with Iowa forever." The first three games the Hawks won were against..well less than "good" teams. Now that they have stepped up to play big 10 teams, they just can't compete. I am interested to see what the Wisconsin game will bring. I know your excited! Hopefully the Hawks can deliver for you. I like your photos, really spice up your blog nice.

BC said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BC said...

I usually wonder this same thing a few weeks into Notre Dame's seasons. But this year they're not too bad, so you could convert to an Irish believer. I mean, c'mon, Charlie Weis is way sexier than Kirk Ferentz anyway.

Also, i agree with you that Yankee hatred is a somewhat new thing. Ruth, Gehrig, Joe D, and Mickey Mantle were some of the most likable ballplayers ever. I tried to express that in my post but must have failed. I think the hatred people are so familiar with now didn't arise until Steinbrenner took over and started buying players and firing managers multiple times (Bill Martin 5 times, Yogi Berra twice)

Eric Van Dril said...

You should convert to an Ole Miss fan.

UISJMC Schwartz said...

ASSIGNMENT - So, seriously, if you were forced to transfer to another Big Ten school based on the merits of its athletic department, which school would it be and why?

uisjmc nagel said...

Hey not a bad win for the Hawks today. Perhaps they could still be your team for another week.

Megan Cabalka said...

Haha, Yeah Nagel, I guess they can be my team for another week