Saturday, November 8, 2008

Q&A With Mr. Mitchell King

MC: When did you start playing football?
MK: In 7th grade.

MC: What position did you play then and in high school?
MK: Running back and a little bit of linebacker.

MC: When did you switch to the d-line?
MK: In 2005.  Everyone got hurt on the d-line and Coach Parker and Coach Ferentz thought I might be OK at it so they decided to give it a try.  And it ended up being a good fit.  

MC: Tell me about your high school football team; were you guys good?
MK: We were bad, very bad.  We went 2-7 my senior year and 1-8 my junior year.  

MC: What was your worst experience in high school football?
MK: I would have to say my worst memory of high school football would be winning three games in two years.  That was pretty bad.  

MC: If your team was so bad, how did you get the University of Iowa to recognize you?
MK: My head coach in high school, Ron Glasgow told Iowa about me.  He always said I had good dimensions for a linebacker.  Reece Morgan helped me out a lot too.  I'm glad they did tho--I was the first kid from Burlington to ever get a full-ride scholarship at a D-1 school.  I think I was the first kid from Burlington to even pay at a division one school...ever.  Someone walked on once but that was about it.  

MC:  How did you first get involved in football?
MK:  My big brother, Vince, used to take me out to play with his buddies in the backyard.  He's the one that got me into the game and really taught me a lot of what I know today about football.  

MC: Did you ever consider going anywhere else to play football?
MK: Yeah, I almost committed to Iowa State.  My brother wanted to be a grad assistant there which was a big factor.  I also really liked the recruiting there, the coaches were really nice.  

MC: Describe your recruiting process with them.
MK: First they sat me down and said, this is what we have to offer you.  And how they did the whole process was big.  Coach Mac sat me down individually and told me what they had to offer.  Iowa was the complete opposite.  They didn't even call me.  They just sent a letter.  

MC: So what made you choose Iowa in the end?
MK: It was just a better program.  Where they were at the time was big.  They were up and rising in '01, '02, '03 all the way till the Orange Bowl.  And if I ever did want to play past college, it would be a better place and opportunity.  Playing right away was a big concern for me, but in the end the better school and program would be better overall than just playing time.  

MC:  Do you ever regret your decision to come to Iowa?
MK:  No I've never regretted my decision.  I've started all four years, so I guess I got pretty lucky.  

MC: Who is your biggest role model in football?
MK: My brother Vince for sure.  

MC: Why?
MK: Everyone always said I would never be as good as Vince.  They always said it was never possible.  But he was always the one telling me I could be.  He was always my biggest supporter.  And plus he played my same position.  He was defensive line and three-time All-American at Wartburg College.  

MC: Who is your biggest role model in life in general?
MK:  My mom.  

MC: Why?
MK: She's definitely my hero.  She raised me as a single mom since I was six and has worked harder than anyone I have ever met.  She set everything aside for her kids.  I'm definitely a momma's boy.  She's my best friend and I talk to her everyday.  

MC: What has playing college football done for you?
MK:  It has made me more a big picture kind of guy.  I'm not just living day-to-day anymore.  Football has made me see the big picture, like education is big.  I probably wouldn't have gone to this big of a college if it wasn't for football.  It's made me more responsible and has made me realize what I can and can't do.  I'm now put on a higher expectation for some things.  I know some things aren't acceptable for the position I've put myself into as an athlete.  

MC:  What are you hoping to come out of this season as a senior?
MK:  Well, hopefully we finish by winning the final three games of my senior year.  I want to be remembered as one of the best to have ever played here.  I want to beat Penn State and finish out on top.  I guess I just want to build a legacy. 

MC:  Alright, well in Joe Paterno's press conference on Tuesday he said, "That kid, (Mitch) King is a really good football player.  Maybe as good of a defensive lineman as we've played against."  What do you have to say about what JoePa said about you?
MK: Man well that says a lot, especially from someone like him.  He's seen a lot of players.  I don't know if he's saying that because we play him this weekend and he's trying to toot our horn.  But that's pretty big.  I'm excited about that.  

(About 15 seconds later)
MK:  Wait where did you read that?  I don't believe you, I wanna see this.  

MC: If you could choose anywhere to play professional football, where would it be?
MK: Mmm, man that's hard.  I don't know, I would go anywhere.  I would just love to play professional football, no matter where it be.  

MC: Would you ever want to play for the awesome Green Bay Packers?
MK: Oh no way, it's too damn cold there.

MC: Alright lastly, out of professional football players, who is your favorite?
MK: Dan Marino for sure.  I just love the way he played the game.  He made the most of what was around him, there were no big superstars in his era.  He made the Miami Dolphins a playoff contenders and a runner in the Super Bowl.  He was a real humble guy as well.  

No comments: